Is your home becoming a breeding ground for germs and allergy-causing particles? Here are some helpful tips to “allergy-proof” your home this winter season.
- Invest in an air purifier. Installing an air purifier is an effective strategy to combat airborne allergens while improving your indoor air quality. It traps and removes potential allergens that are contaminating the air. There are different types of air purifiers but we highly recommend those with a HEPA filter for high quality result.
- Change air filters regularly. Air filter replacement is an important requirement to keep your system running properly as well as to prevent the circulation of dirty and unhealthy air inside your home. Dirty filters will not just fail to trap allergy causing particles but also help blow them inside the house. It is advised to change air filters before the winter starts and how often you have to clean and replace it will depend on certain factors such us your location and the health conditions of your family members.
- Invest in a humidifier. In your attempt to stay warm, you turn on your heater for almost the entire day, giving a drier air inside your home. Dry air can be a source of many problems including those that can trigger health conditions on your family members. A humidifier helps in maintaining the proper level of humidity to keep your allergies in check throughout the season.
- Put air purifying houseplants inside. There are various houseplants that are proven effective in purifying the air inside your home. Some of these are English Ivy which can absorb formaldehyde and helps in your mold issues, Peace Lilly which you can use to combat VOC benzene which is a well-known paint carcinogen and Lady Palm which helps in scrubbing air of ammonia to keep breathing easier for you.
- Dust, vacuum and steam clean the different areas of your home. Simple dusting at least once a day can go a long way to prevent allergies. After which, we recommend vacuum cleaning of your floors to remove pet dander and other allergens stuck in your carpet. Steam cleaning will then sanitize the floor by killing off microscopic organisms using high temperatures of steam. Doing this at least a couple of days per week can prevent chances of winter allergies.
Are you having indoor air quality issues? Leave it to the professionals at Rhino Heating & Air Conditioning,LLC.